Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rice Triangles Part II: Getting in the Middle of It

To continue on expanding my rice triangle-making skills, I decided to next make rice balls with fillings.

FI and I had bought some beautiful unagi (grilled eel) to eat over rice. Instead of over rice, I tried to make them in rice.

Here's the eel in the packaging. I love the soy/teriyaki/plum sauce that gets added to the eel when it's grilled.


Here's the leftover rice from my last rice-triangle-making session. I added a little water and heated it up in the microwave so it would have the hot, sticky consistency needed for rice patties.


Since the eel had been in our refrigerator, I grilled it first in our toaster oven to get it hot.


This time, instead of filling the rice mold, I only put in rice to fill up 2/3 of the mold.


Then I gently packed the rice down and topped it with a couple of pieces of eel.


Next I put more rice on top and filled the mold. Finally I put the top on and squeezed it tight so the rice patties would form.


I was able to make 6 more rice patties with the leftovers. FI and I already ate one of them before I had a chance to take a picture.


Here's the inside of one. FI liked the seaweed we used last time so he insisted we have them with these as well.


The rice triangles were super yummy. The eel was tasty and the rice soaked up all of the sauce. We only ate 4 of them and I got to pack the other two in one of my Bento boxes for lunch the next day!

No comments: