Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Healthy" Cupcakes

This is the first dessert I made from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast by Martha Stewart. FI asked for carrot cupcakes. They were easy to make but a little more time-intensive because you have to grate the carrots, which I did by hand (I guess it would have been easier if I had used a food processor).

I also doubled this recipe since we were taking this as a dish to FI's family's Chinese New Year dinner and we wanted to make sure there was enough for everyone.

Here is the batter with everything mixed in. I actually didn't include walnuts because several of FI's nieces and nephews are allergic. I love the bright orangey color of the batter - it's so happy looking!


The batter poured into cups. We made a ton of cupcakes with the recipe doubled. Something like 20 regular cupcakes and 30 mini cupcakes.


Cupcakes baking in the oven. I only needed to fill the cups halfway and the rising of the batter did the rest.


Finished cupcakes cooling in our apartment!


I don't have a photo of the icing and the cupcakes iced, but the cream cheese recipe that came along with the carrot cupcake recipe was really easy. You didn't need a mixer, you could do everything by hand. You just have to let the cream cheese soften at room temperature for a little while and then pour confectioner's sugar over it and stir to blend. I didn't even use as much sugar as the recipe called for, I just poured in a little at a time and mixed until it was a creamy consistency. Then I iced the cakes.

The cupcakes were delicious! The carrots were a great texturizer, the allspice and orange juice added a real kick to the flavors, and the icing balanced the sweetness really well.

No comments: